Sources of Earned and Other Non-Investment Income

Report the source and amount of your earned and other non-investment income in Schedule A. Report your spouse’s earned income in Schedule A, as well.

Certain sources of income are associated with an employment-related agreement or arrangement. Report any such agreements or arrangements that you have in Schedule C, Part II.

For You

Schedule A

Generally, you must report each source, whether a natural person or an organization or entity, that provided you more than $200 of earned income and other non-investment income during the reporting period. There are additional requirements for honoraria payments, as discussed in the honoraria section of this guide.

Block A: Describe the source of income being reported.

Block C: Describe the type of income in the column labeled “Other Income” on the right side of the page. Provide the exact amount of income produced during the reporting period. If the type of income is an honorarium, include the date that you provided the services for which the payment was made in the “Date” column.

For Your Spouse

The instructions for reporting a spouse’s earned income are the same as those described above in the “For You” section, with a few exceptions. Report each entity that provided your spouse more than $1,000 of earned income during the reporting period. However, if the income was an honorarium, report any honorarium of more than $200. As with any honoraria payment you received, you must report the exact amount of the honoraria payment in the “Other Income” column. For all other types of income, however, you do not report the amount of your spouse’s income, nor do you mark the column in Block C corresponding to the category of amount of income —a description of the type of income is sufficient.

Sources of Income That Are Not Reportable

You need not report the following in Schedule A:

•  Income from employment with the federal government, including military reserve pay.

•  Retirement benefits from the federal government, including the Thrift Savings Plan.

•  Income from social security, veterans’ benefits, and other similar federal government benefits.

•  Insurance claims and reimbursements, unless they are subject to federal income tax.

•  Interests of a spouse living separate and apart with the intention of terminating the marriage or providing for a permanent separation.

•  Interests of a former spouse or a spouse from whom you are permanently separated.

•  Payments from a spouse or former spouse associated with a divorce or permanent separation. 


This guide is not intended to provide investment advice, and you should not rely on statements in this guide when making investment decisions.