Mortgages for PAS Nominees and Appointees

A PAS nominee or appointee generally must report a mortgage or home equity loan on a personal residence, regardless of whether the residence was rented during the reporting period.

However, you do not need to report a mortgage or home equity loan secured by your personal residence if you are a nominee or appointee to one of the following three types of PAS positions:

  • a position in which you will serve as a special Government employee (SGE);
  • a position as a Foreign Service Officer below the rank of ambassador; or
  • a position in the uniformed services for which the pay grade prescribed by section 201 of title 37, United States Code is O–6 or below.

This exclusion does not apply to a residence that was rented out during the reporting period.