OGE Form 278-T Reporting Instructions

Report purchases, sales, or exchanges by the applicable due date.




Notification Received Over 30 Days Ago


Chevron Corp. (CVX)




$15,001 - $50,000

Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM)




$15,001 - $50,000

For You, Your Spouse, and Your Dependent Children

Report any purchase, sale, or exchange by you, your spouse, or dependent child of stocks, bonds, commodity futures, and other securities if the amount of the transaction exceeded $1,000.

Description:  Provide a description sufficient to identify the asset being reported (or both assets in the case of an exchange).  The amount of information needed for a sufficient description will depend on the type of asset being reported. 

(1) Stock:  Provide the name of the issuing company. 

(2) Other securities with specific names (e.g., bonds):  Provide the full name of the asset and, unless clear from the name, describe the type of asset.

If the asset is an underlying holding of some other investment vehicle (e.g., held within a fund that does not qualify as an excepted investment fund), it is helpful if you identify the investment vehicle (e.g., Positron Investments, LLC: Chevron Corp.).

Type:  Specify the type of transaction as a purchase, sale, or exchange.

Date:  Provide the month, day, and year of the transaction.

Notification Received Over 30 Days Ago:  Select this field only if you received notice of the transaction more than 30 days ago.  Absent an extension, you would likely not select this field because you are required to report transactions within 30 days of notification.

Amount:  Report the amount of the transaction by selecting the appropriate category.

Transactions That Are Not Reportable in an OGE Form 278-T

You do not need to report transactions that concern the following:

  • Real property (e.g., apartment building or farmland).
  • Cash accounts (e.g., checking, savings, certificates of deposit, money market accounts) and money market mutual funds.
  • Treasury bills, bonds, notes, and savings bonds.
  • An excepted investment fund, such as a mutual fund.
  • Holdings of a Thrift Savings Plan account or other retirement account for United States Government employees.
  • Underlying assets held within an excepted trust or a qualified trust.
  • Assets of a trade or business, unless the assets are unrelated to the operations of that trade or business.

In addition, you do not need to report:

  • Transactions that occurred when you were not a public financial disclosure filer or an employee of the United States Government.
  • Transactions that occurred solely by and between you, your spouse, or your dependent children.
  • Actions that do not constitute purchases, sales, or exchanges (e.g., gifts given or received, stock splits, bond calls or maturity, or expiration of options).
  • Transactions involving the interests of a spouse living separate and apart from you with the intention of terminating the marriage or providing for a permanent separation.
  • Transactions involving the interests of a former spouse or a spouse from whom you are permanently separated.

Relationship to the Annual and Termination Reporting Requirements

Annual and Termination reports (OGE Form 278e) require you to report purchases, sales, or exchanges of the same securities that are reportable in a Periodic Transaction report (OGE Form 278-T).  In addition, Annual and Termination reports require you to report purchases, sales, or exchanges of (1) mutual funds and other excepted investment funds and (2) real property (excluding your personal residence).  If you prefer, you may report these additional transactions in Periodic Transaction reports as they occur rather than attempting to differentiate between transactions subject to the Periodic Transaction reporting requirements and those transactions subject to the more extensive Annual and Termination reporting requirements.

You do not need to report a transaction in an Annual or Termination report if you have already reported the transaction in a Periodic Transaction report, unless your agency requires duplicate reporting.

* Note that Integrity allows filers to import Periodic Transaction reports into Annual or Termination reports without additional data entry.  Other electronic filing systems may offer similar functionality.

No Transactions to Report

Do not file an OGE Form 278-T if you have no transactions to report.  Filing is required only if you have reportable transactions.

Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions