Part 6: General guidance

Report assets and income from assets in Part 6, unless already reported in Part 2 or Part 5 as being related to employment.

For You, Your Spouse, and Your Dependent Children

Part 6

Report an asset if the value of the asset was more than $1,000 at the end of the reporting period or if more than $200 in income was received during the reporting period.  For purposes of the value and income thresholds, aggregate your interests with those of your spouse and your dependent children.

Generally, report assets as follows, though you should note that specific requirements and exceptions for certain types of assets are discussed in this guide:

Description:  Provide a description sufficient to identify the asset being reported.  The amount of information needed for a sufficient description will depend on the type of asset or source of income being reported. 

(1) Stock and other equity in a business:  Provide the name of the business.  For a privately held business, describe the line of business as well, unless you have already provided this information in another entry.  For publicly traded stocks, it is helpful to provide the ticker symbol in addition to the name of the stock.

(2) Other assets with specific names (e.g., bonds and mutual funds):  Provide the full name of the asset and, unless clear from the name, describe the type of asset.  For publicly traded securities, it is helpful to provide the ticker symbol in addition to the name of the security.

(3) Assets without specific names:  Describe the type of asset, including the city and state (or county and state) for real estate.

EIF:  If you are reporting an investment vehicle that invests in assets of its own, report each underlying asset that was individually worth more than $1,000 at the end of the reporting period or from which more than $200 in income was received during the reporting period.  As an exception to this requirement, however, you do not need to report the underlying assets of an investment vehicle that qualifies as an excepted investment fund (EIF).  Indicate whether your entry (1) is an investment vehicle that qualifies as an EIF (“Yes”), (2) is an investment vehicle that does not qualify as an EIF (“No”), or (3) is not an investment vehicle at all (“N/A”).

Value:  Report the value of an asset by selecting the appropriate category.

Income Type:  Specify the type(s) of income, unless the asset qualifies as an EIF or the income did not exceed $200.

Income Amount:

(1) Income less than $201:  Select the “None (or less than $201)” category.

(2) Dividends, capital gains, interest, rent, royalties, or income from excepted investment funds:  Select the category that corresponds to the total amount of income received during the reporting period.

(3) Other income:  Provide the exact amount of income received during the reporting period.

Assets and Income That Are Not Reportable

  • A personal residence (including a vacation home used as a second residence or a vacation home used as a timeshare) that you did not rent out during the reporting period.
  • Retirement benefits from the United States Government, including the Thrift Savings Plan.
  • Income from Social Security, veterans’ benefits, and other similar United States Government benefit programs.
  • Cash accounts (e.g., money market accounts, certificates of deposit, savings accounts, checking accounts) in a single financial institution aggregating $5,000 or less (unless the income exceeded $200).
  • Shares in a single money market fund aggregating $5,000 or less (unless the income exceeded $200).
  • Term life insurance.
  • Insurance claims and reimbursements, unless they are subject to federal income tax.
  • Assets of a trade or business, unless the assets are unrelated to the operations of that trade or business.
  • Personal loans made by you, your spouse, or a dependent child to a parent, spouse, sibling, or child.
  • Interests of a spouse living separate and apart from you with the intention of terminating the marriage or providing for a permanent separation.
  • Interests of a former spouse or a spouse from whom you are permanently separated.
  • Payments from a spouse or former spouse associated with a divorce or permanent separation.